Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Ask me...

Ask me about my profession, and I will tell you about my vocation. I have the privilege of teaching children. Each day I get to read with children, listen to their stories, and laugh with them. I get to share their curiosities and discoveries and I get to learn from their struggles and triumphs. I can't think of a more exciting way to spend my days.

All this I have to do within the realm of mandates and assessments created by people who have never met my students. I work hard to meet the standards placed on us as educators. I constantly question myself. I constantly reevaluate my teaching. I learn as much as possible from books, blogs, modeled lessons, conferences, and most importantly, my cohorts. I shamelessly eavesdrop on professional conversations. I wonder if I will ever find the balance between what 'they' think is right and what I think is best for my students.

No comments: