Sunday, February 22, 2009

Important Things

Here's a quote I found today at Creative Literacy:

"There's no such thing as the perfect lesson, the perfect day in school or the perfect teacher. For teachers and students alike, the goal is not perfection but persistence in the pursuit of understanding important things." (Tomlinson and McTighe)


There are so many 'important things' I teach my students every day. Like how to choose an appropriate book, how to decide what to write about, how to break down words into parts, how figure out an author's voice, or a main idea... how to make an inference, how to craft a piece of writing, how to have a friendly discussion, how to sharpen a pencil, how to organize a notebook, and on and on.

But when I really think about it, what are the most important things I want my students to understand this year? What do I want them to leave my classroom this summer with?

  • Reading is the most important gift you can give yourself.
  • Curiosity is a wonderful gift, too.
  • Don't be afraid to ask big questions. Don't be afraid to ask little questions, either.
  • It's okay if you don't know everything, or don't have all the answers.
  • Mistakes are learning opportunities.
  • Your peers can teach you as much as any teacher, book, or website.
  • Kindness is so much more effective than cruelty.

What others would you add?

1 comment:

Katie Dicesare said...

I love this quote too!! Your list really hits home. I am at a loss for what to add...sometimes there is no right or wrong answer. GReat post!